Saturday, January 7, 2017

12-17-16 Dinner at Jiko and the Proposal



Before I forget, EOS our cost was $22.86 and at Vivoli Gelateria $10.65 but we used 2 snack credits.


12/17 at 5:30pm dinner at Jiko. 
As you have seen, we did not arrive at Jiko on time, in fact we didn’t arrive until almost 5:55pm.  We checked in and we were seated immediately at a table for 2 by a window with a large Christmas wreath above us, it was the perfect spot.  We had views of outside, of the 2 big ovens where food is prepared and the overall restaurant. (I found out later that Chrissy from the In-Room Dining at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, who had helped me in planning the cake, had checked in to make sure that everything was ready and that we would encounter no problems).  Dawn, our server made sure to come and check on us often and made some great recommendations.  I excused myself to use the washroom but stopped at the front desk and asked if everything was ok and could they let Chrissy know we were here as she had wanted to come down to partake in it. When I came back, we were just being brought 2 very warm rose water moist towels to clean off our hands, a wonderful experience and helped to set the mood for the evening, especially after all we had been thru.


 

NOTE: We are not foodies or experts and do not know the lingo, however, we both love food and look for places that we can enjoy both the atmosphere and food.  If we find someplace that we like, we will return. I guess you could call us more of the average diner.  I have much more dining experience then Andrea as I have lived in several places east of the Mississippi and have enjoyed meals in some very fine dining establishments. Our goal was to try many different dining locations, several of them signature and would try new things but also to compare the steaks, which you will notice as our dining reports progress.



We ordered the drinks, apps and main course all at the same time but will break them down for each.  For the Appetizers, we could pick from the Appetizers and from The Cooking Place for our apps.  I selected the Grilled Wild Boar Tenderloin with Mealie Pap, Chakalaka, Truffle Oil and Micro Cilantro. Andrea selected the Taste of Africa with African-inspired Dips, Papadum, sesame Fatir, House-made lax Seed Naan and had goat butter.  While waiting for our apps, we were brought our drinks, mine Sprite, hers Coke with grenadine along with an Ethiopian beer bread with a salted butter.  If you like a hearty whole grain bread, you will like it, we both enjoyed it.  Our apps were presented and Dawn explained the differences in the dips and breads, along with ways to enjoy it. The Grilled Wild Boar was everything we had read about and more, with it being so tender and flavorful. She loved the boar but the rest she wasn’t big on, I enjoyed it all, a very different combination but good.  The Taste of Africa, well that is not big on our list to try again, but we are sure that others will truly enjoy it, just not us. We didn’t like the dips and most of the breads were not to our liking, however, we don’t regret trying it.









We also were brought a taste sampling of fried pork belly in a mustard sauce, it is very small pieces.  This was ok, a bit dry but had good flavor.

 On to the entrees and with all the choices, I remember one thing I ate here from back in 2008, and had talked so much about it, there was only one choice for us: The 10-oz Oak-grilled Filet Mignon and it had to be over the mac and cheese. The menu says it comes with Pumpkin Pap”Isidudu”, Brussels Sprouts, Caramelized Onions, South African Red Wine Sauce.  Dawn explained that the mac & cheese was different from before as the chef that had created it was no longer there and they were using a different 4 cheese blend and different noodles.  That was ok, and we both ordered the steaks to be medium.  (We have found that when ordering steak anywhere to always ask what is their medium, from there we know if we should order it medium or medium rare.)  When the main course arrived, I could see the difference in the mac & cheese, in that the noodles were much smaller and it didn’t look as creamy. (you will see a difference in this when we came back for our last evening meal of our trip).  Our filets were cooked to perfection, so tender and flavorful. The mac & cheese was still very good but just not the same. The demi-glaze and sauce just add so much to the overall dish.  When I tell you that this steak set the bar on which all other steaks would be compared to, it is what we compared any filet to and all other steaks and sauces for them.  I could cut mine with my fork, and I don’t mean having to saw back and forth a lot and apply a lot of pressure but almost like cutting a hamburger with a fork. That tender. I would go as far as to say that this filet is heaven on a plate.



So far in our meal, Andrea knows nothing of the plans, we have been here for about 1 ½ hours. Dawn came over and brought the dessert menu. We looked over the menu and decided: Her – The Kilimanjaro which is Tanzanian Chocolate Mousse, Pistachio Financier, Pink Peppercorn, Meringue, Cacao Nib Crunch, Ras el Hanout Pineapples. I ordered the Crown Jewel Sweet Potato Cheesecake which is Purple Sweet Potato Cheesecake, Gingerbread Sable, Spiced White Chocolate Cream, Sweet Apple Chutney.  Dawn took the order but also managed to take my camera so they could get pictures of the Proposal cake and of the proposal. I excused myself to use the washroom and checked with the manager that everything was ready and she assured me that it was. I then acted like I used the washroom and came back. Andrea then said she needed to use the washroom and she got up and left, Dawn came over and said is everything ready to go, I told her as soon as Andrea gets back we are good to go. She left and I then texted Andrea’s mom and asked her if she could text me a message letting Andrea know that it is okay for me to ask her to marry me even though her mom wasn’t there. The reason for this, is her mom was in on the whole thing and had told Andrea many times that David isn’t allowed to propose unless she is there.  This was to throw Andrea off and to make her think that I couldn’t propose to her at WDW.  Her mom texted the message but instead of texting it to me, she texted it to Andrea’s phone. Her mom sent me a text that said “oh Sh*t, wrong phone”.  I looked and saw Andrea returning from the washroom, she sat down and picked up her phone and started to open it, when I put my hand over it and very softly said, “let’s not worry about the phones right now, just enjoy the rest of the evening.”  With that, I moved her phone over next to me but away from her.  Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Dawn coming with other people, I kept looking at Andrea the whole time to see her reaction. The cake was presented in front of her and it took a minute for her to read it and for it to sink in.  I then showed her the text from her mom and held out the ring. She shook her head yes and said yes.  After I slid the ring on her finger and we kissed, she asked me how was I able to do this and to get her mom to keep the secret. I smiled and said “that everyone here at Jiko was involved along with Chrissy and her mom, well I guess she can keep a secret.”  Then I told her that the cake was even more then I had planned or pictured and that this was why we had to get here to Jiko tonight.  Dawn came over and asked if we wanted the desserts we ordered or the cake, Andrea pointed at the cake and said, the cake. Dawn took the cake and had our desserts boxed up, then brought us each a slice of the cake along with the cake. It was incredible. A white cake with strawberry mousse, whipped cream for the icing, and a savannah theme, with icing ribbon and different pieces of chocolate, mmmmmmm.
















After we finished our pieces of cake, Chrissy came down with the manager and she had a big smile and was so glad that everything had went perfectly. She did apologize by letting us know that she was the only one in her office today and she had to have the supervisor cover for her so she could at least come down and say hi.  We then had our cake boxed up but asked for them to slice a few slices so we could enjoy them when we got back to our resort room as we had nothing to cut it with and Dawn said she would take care of it.



We did something toward the end of the meal, we presented Dawn, the manager and also Chrissy with a special thank you card that we made up, as you can see pictures of it, along with making notes on a comment card that we kept to submit to Disney. 
We can’t really comment on the desserts we ordered as it would be unfair since we didn’t eat them until later and it would not do them justice to talk about them here but we can tell you that they were not bad.
I am sure that everyone would love to know what this costs, well here we go. 
Dinner with tax was $183.16 (which was a total of 4 TS credits) and then with the cake it came to $257.71 The cake was quoted at $100 plus tax and ended up being only $70 plus tax for a total of $74.55.  Our total tip for this was $48.40, which brought our grand total to $306.11 and well worth every penny.
We then used the App for LYFT and had to cancel and reorder a few times. With what we could tell, it was that they were not coming to the Jambo house but to Kidani Village.  This was the only damper on the night.
When we got back to the POP, we went up to our room, and when we opened it saw what I would only describe as an Engagement Celebration package. I had known that there would be some Celebration pins in our room, but what was there, well as I was later told, Mickey and Minnie had delivered was truly a WOW experience.  As you can see in the pictures, there were 3 balloons attached to a small stuffed Dumbo, a picture frame, a signed picture from Mickey and Minnie that congratulated us, 2 trading pins – I’ll be your Mickey and I’ll be your Minnie and 2 other pins, these you cannot not get anymore, they were 2 Just Engaged pins. Amazing.



I went down to the food court and filled up our refillable cups, then came back and when I went to get the slices of the cake out, well due to our carrying it and moving about, those had fallen apart, still tasted wonderful.  We had planned on keeping the proposal scroll, which looked like it was maybe a white chocolate and gum paste, but it was very soft and flexible and was melting. I tried it and well that was the only thing that didn’t taste good on the cake. We kept the Chocolate mask.  I then remembered I had seen Levi at the front desk and since we both knew we wouldn’t eat the rest of the cake, with all the dining we had planned, I took it down and asked Levi if he liked cake, he said he did and I offered him the half of the cake that was left. He said “you don’t have to do this” and I said “there was no way we were going to be able to eat it and if he didn’t take it, it would be thrown in the trash. Just please take it and you and the others working here can enjoy it.” He thanked me and took it and said “Myself and all the night shift will enjoy it.” I then returned to the room and got ready for bed. This had been one long interesting day but neither of us would change any of it as it truly was the start of the most magical, wonderful and amazing vacation either of us has ever been on.  This ends the first day
Tomorrow, 12/18 – we are in MK and doing the Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party. Breakfast at CRT for 7:00am, BOG for lunch at 1:25pm, along with some snacks and PVH. We will continue with this and the pictures.  Hope you all are enjoying our report.

No comments:

Post a Comment